Te Piringa Environmental Law Symposium
|Date||Tuesday 19 October 2021|
|Time||8:30am - 5:45pm|
|Where||Zoom (Registration required in order to receive the Zoom link)|
The one-day online symposium will showcase cutting-edge environmental law research and policy.
The symposium is being held in celebration of Te Piringa Faculty of Law's 30th anniversary.
The symposium will feature a keynote presentation and four expert panel sessions. The speakers are internationally leading scholars in the fields of environmental law, climate science, economics, indigenous scholarship and related fields.
The specialist panel topics are:
- opportunities for green economic recovery and the zero carbon movement;
- biodiversity threats, trends and responses;
- climate change and human rights; and
- legal responses to climate change: international law and domestic litigation.
The four panel discussions will highlight innovative approaches to environmental governance in the face of increasing climate change and biodiversity challenges.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Keynote Speaker - Liz Fisher (University of Oxford)
- Sam Adelman (University of Warwick)
- Neville Ash (Director, UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre)
- Justice Antonio Benjamin (Chair Emeritus, World Commission on Environmental Law, Justice of the National High Court of Brazil and founding member of the Global Judicial Institute on the Environment)
- David Boyd (UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment)
- Kai Chan (University of British Columbia)
- Rose-Liza Eisma-Osorio (Chair, IUCN Academy of Environmental Law)
- James Every-Palmer QC (Lawyers for Climate Action NZ)
- Rob Fowler (University of Adelaide)
- Markus Gehring (University of Cambridge)
- Anna Grear (Cardiff University)
- Douglas Leys (UN Green Climate Fund General Counsel)
- Tony Oposa (litigator and activist)
- Sir Jonathon Porritt (sustainability campaigner and writer)
- Hon Justice Brian Preston (Chief Judge of the Land and Environment Court of New South Wales, founding member of the Global Judicial Insititute on the Environment)
- Jacinta Ruru (University of Otago)
- Hon James Shaw (New Zealand Minister for Climate Change, Associate Minister for the Environment (Biodiversity))
- Christina Voigt (Chair, World Commission on Environment Law)
- Stefan Weishaar (University of Groningen)
Viewing the symposium presentations
The panels will not run concurrently, allowing viewers to attend all panel discussions on the day. This is an online event. The symposium presentations can be viewed live via ZOOM. Please register to receive the ZOOM Webinar Link
Te Piringa Environmental Law Symposium is supported by: